Certification through the Bay Area Green Business Program involves a three-step process:
- Fill out an online application on the Green Business Program website.
- Complete an online checklist that will cover measures related to your practices in the areas of energy and water conservation, solid waste, pollution prevention, wastewater, and purchasing and employee engagement.
- Complete on-site audits.
The on-site audits are conducted to ensure compliance with the program standards. The auditors may vary depending upon the city, but for Cultivating Capital they included:
- Solid waste: Audit conducted by the City of Berkeley.
- Water conservation: Audit conducted by EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utilities District).
- Energy conservation, pollution prevention, wastewater: Audit conducted by a Green Business Consultant (as a Green Business Consultant with the Green Business Program, I also conduct audits of businesses going through the certification process but obviously another auditor handled my own certification).
And, as it turns out, Cultivating Capital is the 500th business to receive Green Business Certification in Alameda County!